Daily Archive for February 10th, 2014

The Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes and the Church of the Capuchin Friars

The chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes in Floriana is a very small chapel. In it there is a grotto with the statue of Our Lady that looks like the one of Lourdes in the mountains between France and Spain. The first chapel  was built in 1787 by Wolfgang Philip von Guttenberg, who was a Knight of the Order of Saint John. It was dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen. It was used as a place of rest for the large number of people who used to go for confession at the nearby Capuchin Friary. The chapel was rebuilt in 1918 and dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.

The Capuchin Friary and Church were built on the initiative of Grandmaster Loubens de Verdale in 1588-89. The church took a long time to be built and was ready only in 1773 when it was dedicated to the Holy Cross. The church and friary were completely destroyed by bombs during the World War II but were rebuilt between the years 1953 and 1955. This church is very popular for wedding ceremonies. On the facade there are two stone statues of Saint Paul and Saint Publius.

xxxChapels in Florianaxxx

The Chapel of
Our Lady of Lourdes
The Chapel of
the Holy Cross